The University of Washington School of Law will hold a conference on October 29, 2010: Mobile Payments: Global Markets, Empowered Consumers and New Rules?
More than two-thirds of the world’s population has a mobile phone, creating opportunities for new payment platforms in both developed and developing nations. In the former, where the market for mobile telephony is mature, mobile payments are seen as a potential source of revenue by mobile operators, who are trying to diversify their services. In the latter, mobile payments could transition the unbanked into mainstream financial services, and could create new opportunities for commerce as mobile devices can make transactions more efficient and provide merchants and consumers with new access to information.
This one-day conference will explore the benefits of mobile payments in to consumers – both in developed and developing markets and the types of regulatory approaches that will increase consumer adoption and provide incentives for businesses to compete in this emerging space.
- Anita Ramasastry, D. Wayne & Anne Gittinger Professor of Law
- Chris Jay Hoofnagle, Senior Fellow, Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic, UC Berkeley Law
- Ignacio Mas, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Professor Adam Levitin, Georgetown
- Professor Bill Maurer, University of California, Irvine
- Professor Benjamin Geva, Osgoode Hall
- Thomas Brown, Partner, O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Professor Jane K. Winn, University of Washington Law School
- Professor Mark Budnitz, Georgia State Law School
- Gail Hillebrand, Senior Attorney, West Coast Office of Consumers Union
- Scott Morris, General Counsel, Trilogy International
- Professor Joel Ngugi, University of Washington Law School
- Thaer Sabri, Chief Executive, Electronic Money Association
Credits: 5.0 General CLE credits are pending. For more information regarding CLE credits in other states, contact UW CLE at 206-543-0059 or 800-253-8648.
Conference without CLE credits: Free – Registration required
Conference with CLE credits: $50 for CLE course materials
Date: October 29, 2010
Location: University of Washington School of Law
For more information: https://www.law.washington.edu/cle/seminars/mobilepay/